Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mains Of Kilcoy

Cairn (Prehistoric)

Site Name Mains Of Kilcoy

Classification Cairn (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Carn Glas

Canmore ID 12836

Site Number NH55SE 5

NGR NH 57727 51916

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12836

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Killearnan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH55SE 5 5772 5191.

(NH 5772 5191) Tumulus (NR)

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

This cairn measures 47' E-W by 34' N-S and is 13' high.

Excavations by Woodham in 1960 and 1961 revealed not only that the cairn had been entered from the top, and subsequently filled in with clay, but that it contains a massive cist, 8' x 2', lacking end slabs though covered by three large slabs; on the floor were found a few pieces of cremated bone. The only other find was a saddle quern used as a building stone.

A J Beaton 1882; A A Woodham 1956, 1960, 1961.

The cairn is about 13.0m in diameter and 2.5m high. It is virtually cut into two halves by Woodham's excavation trench running approximately E-W. Boulders and clay have rolled into the trench and there is no sign of the alleged cist.

Published survey (25") revised.

Visited by OS (I S S) 29 March 1973.

No change.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 3 March 1989.

Activities

Field Visit (June 1979)

Mains of Kilcoy 1 NH 577 519 NH55SE 5

This cairn, measuring 14.3m by 11.9m and 4m in height, stands 630m NNE of Mains of Kilcoy farmhouse and 190m SW of the chambered cairn NH55SE 6. It was partially excavated in 1961-2, and what was probably a previously-robbed cist, fragments of cremated bone and a quern (now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland) were found.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1979

Woodham 1956, 73, no. 12; DES, 1960, 35; 1961, 45

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions