Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, New Tolsta

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, New Tolsta

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tolastadh 'o Thuath

Canmore ID 128109

Site Number NB54NW 31

NGR NB 534 485

NGR Description Centred on NB 534 485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128109

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note

A township, comprising eighteen roofed buildings, one of which is annotated as a ruin, three unroofed buildings, some enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 10). The township is scattered without any linear pattern apparent. At the northern edge of the township on the Allt na Muilne are five or six mills, three of which are roofed (see NB54NW 8-10, 30, 32-33).

It has been replaced by the present crofting township which is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 5 March 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions