Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, Craighouse Road, Queen's Craig House

Hospital (Period Unassigned), University (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Craighouse Road, Queen's Craig House

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned), University (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Napier University; Queen's Clinic; Royal Edinburgh Hospital

Canmore ID 128039

Site Number NT27SW 1008

NGR NT 23249 70658

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128039

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 1008 23249 70658

NT27SW 12 23459 70660 Old Craig House

NT27SW 195 73353 70686 New Craig House

NT27SW 697 23434 70500 South Craig House

NT27SW 1006 23429 70558 Bevan House

NT27SW 1007 23431 70626 East Craig House

NT27SW 1009 23621 70611 East Lodge

Activities

Standing Building Recording (1 June 2015 - 11 September 2015)

NT 23249 70658 A Level 2 standing building survey was carried out, 1 June – 11 September 2015, of the category A listed Queen’s Craig Villa in advance of development. Queen’s Craig Villa, attached to the West Hospital, was part of the Royal Edinburgh Asylum Complex built at Craighouse by the architect Sydney Mitchell in the late 19th century. It was

designed as a separate villa for men, with its own parlours, dining room and a large billiard room. From 1994 to 2013 the building was owned by Edinburgh Napier University and was part of their Craighouse campus.

The building, which is in average to good condition, retains some of its original features and there is also clear evidence of alterations in its structures that have taken place during the 20th century. However, the lower ground floor is in a poor condition, due to severe mould infestation and water damage, focusing on the timber conservatory and the rooms

forming the exterior light well.

Being situated in the Craiglockhart Hills Conservation area, the building is of cultural and archaeological significance. In the composition with the other buildings and as part of Sydney Mitchell’s design, the building is of a high aesthetic and architectural significance. With the large amount of

exterior and interior details still present, the building is of significant value as an example of a 19th-century hospital.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: Clearbell Capital Ltd

Ariane Buschmann and Frank Giecco – Wardell Armstrong Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions