Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glen Douglas Halt

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glen Douglas Halt

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glen Douglas Station; Glen Douglas Platform; Glendouglas Halt

Canmore ID 128009

Site Number NS29NE 10

NGR NS 2745 9947

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Luss
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS29NE 10 2745 9947.

Glendouglas Halt [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow-Helensburgh-Crianlarich-Fort William route (the 'West Highland line') of the former North British Rly. was opened (as Glen Douglas Platform) by the West Highland Rly on 7 August 1884. It closed by September 1926, but was reopened and renamed Glen Douglas by May 1942. It became Glen Douglas Halt on 12 June 1961 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 15 June 1964, the line itself remaining in use.

The station has probably been most significant for serving the adjacent armament depot (RNAD Glen Douglas), for which see NS29NE 11.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM) 15 October 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions