Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balloch, Luss Road, Hamilton House

Hotel (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balloch, Luss Road, Hamilton House

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Hamilton House Hotel; Woodbank House

Canmore ID 127978

Site Number NS38SE 47

NGR NS 38188 81758

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/127978

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Site Management (20 February 1990)

2-storey over basement, 5-bay, rectangular-plan main block; with large 3-storey, 5-bay later 19th century addition at right angles to S. Stucco over rubble; raised ashlar margins; rusticated quoins; eaves cornice.

The land was settled on James Lindsay and his wife Sarah Brisbane Lindsay in 1670, and a house stood on the site at this time. The property was called Stuckrodger at this time. In 1774 Stuckrodger was acquired by Charles Scott of Dalquhurn, a Glasgow merchant and it appears that the house as it now appears dates from this time. The house name was changed to Woodbank.

In 1885 William Ewing-Gilmour of Croftenga was the occupant of the house and it is likely that the later additions date from his occupancy, the coat of arms on the W wall is the same as that on the Masonic Hall in Alexandria. The house bcame a hotel in the 1930s, and became the Hamilton House Hotel in the 1980s. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions