Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Moniack Castle

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Moniack Castle

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 12706

Site Number NH54SE 10

NGR NH 552 436

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12706

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54SE 10 552 436.

(Area NH 552 436) There is a cup-marked stone in the rockery at Moniack Castle, It stands at the end of the rockery next to the entrance gate, and is an erect block of hard grey gneiss, 2' x2' with at least 19 well formed cups, the largest being 5" across. It is on loan to Miss Campbell of Moniack Castle, and came from an old dike, which is the march between the farm of Mr. Yule of Maryburgh, near Dingwall,and Bakerhill of Brahan (Information from Seaforth to Rev Dr. Joass, Golspie: June 1880)

W Jolly 1882

No trace of this stone could be found.

Visited by OS (R D) 21 December 1964

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions