Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Beauly, High Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (15th Century), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Site Name Beauly, High Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (15th Century), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 12703

Site Number NH54NW 8

NGR NH 52676 46436

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12703

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmorack
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54NW 8 52676 46436

(NH 5270 4645) Market Cross (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1872)

A plain standing stone about 6' or 8' high. It has been shifted three times in the last hundred years.

Name Book 1872

This is the famous cross erected at Wellhouse on the high road above Beauly c. 1430-40 by Lord Hugh Fraser. (ISSFC 1885) About 1746 the cross was broken and the pedestal removed to Belladrum (NH 51 41) where it remains. The shaft of the cross was later joined by iron bars and erected on a new pedestal with the capital, but the cross and crosslets which adorned it were never restored. In the early 19th c, a 'joug' was fitted to the centre of the shaft.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896.

As described. This cross stands at the entrance to the grounds of Beauly Priory (NH54NW 5), at NH 5268 4645.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

There is no trace of the pedestal at Belladrum House, now demolished.

Visited by OS (J B) 23 June 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions