Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Hillhead, Byres Road , Kelvinside Free Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century), Bell(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Hillhead, Byres Road , Kelvinside Free Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century), Bell(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kelvinside Parish Church; Botanic Gardens Parish Church; 731 Great Western Road; Bible Training Institute; Oran Mor; War Memorial Plaque And Bells

Canmore ID 126724

Site Number NS56NE 227

NGR NS 56849 67304

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes



Charles Wilson - unexecuted design, 1858-59

Campbell Douglas & (John) Stevenson 1862

John Honeyman, 1881


National Portrait Gallery

Glasgow and Lanarkshire Illustrated 1910

Cat 1935 C/July 1946

p9, p41

- article and photograph of Kelvin Bridge, Lansdown and St Mary's Churches

(Undated) information in NMRS.


Field Visit (6 August 2014)

Eight bells within the spire of the church are dedicated to the memory of men lost in the First World Wall. Above a door in a porch fronting Great Western Road is an inscription reads 'The eight bells in this spire, the gift of a Glasgow Academical, are dedicated to the glory of God and in the memory of the boys of Glasgow and Kelvinside Academies, and of this church, who fell in the Great War, 1914-18'. The church has been converted to a public house but the bells are still in situ and are rung on the 11th November each year.

The war memorial within the church is situated within the entrance lobby at the main western entrance, on the wall facing the doorway. The memorial has been covered up to protect it, and cannot be seen.

Visited by RCAHMS (AKK) 30 July 2014.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions