Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Errol, Railway Station And Signal Box

Railway Station (19th Century), Signal Box (19th Century)

Site Name Errol, Railway Station And Signal Box

Classification Railway Station (19th Century), Signal Box (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Errol Station

Canmore ID 126299

Site Number NO22SE 31

NGR NO 25366 24542

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/126299

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Errol
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22SE 31 25366 24542

Errol Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, May 2010.

For similar Inchture Station (NO 2869 2648), see NO22NE 47.

(Location cited as NO 253 245). Errol Station, built 1847 for the Dundee and Perth Rly. A two-platform through station with the main offices on the down platform in a one-storey and attic rubble building on a T plan, with an awning supported on cast-iron columns.

J R Hume 1977.

Errol Station. This intermediate station on the Dundee - Perth line of the former Caledonian Rly was opened (by the Dundee and Perth Rly) on 24 May 1847. It was closed to regular passenger traffic (by British Rail) on 30 September 1985; the line itself remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 August 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

STATIONS ON THE DUNDEE AND PERTH RAILWAY

Errol Station NO 3253 7245

The flat Carse of Gowrie was bisected in 1847 by the Dundee and Perth Railway, taking a direct route rather than conveniencing the various local

communities. So the stations became little nuclei in their own right, starting with signalman’s houses at level crossings, to observe road and rail traffic, modelled on toll houses and similar to those on the Dundee and Arbroath railway. Signal box added c.1890.

Errol Station is a more substantial building with awnings and a collection of gas lamps marked “Dundee Harbour”. This operated as a Railway Heritage Centre and tearoom from 1990-2000 under Errol Station Trust, but is now a private house.

[see also Inchture Station]

M Watson

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions