Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drumnadrochit, Old Kilmore Church

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Drumnadrochit, Old Kilmore Church

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Urquhart Parish Church

Canmore ID 12546

Site Number NH52NW 2

NGR NH 5152 2958

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12546

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urquhart And Glenmoriston
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH52NW 2 5152 2958.

(NH 5152 2958) Church {NR} (Remains of) Kilmore Graveyard {NAT}

OS 6"map, (1906)

These are the ruins of the former parish church, built in 1630, and known as 'Kilmore', as was it's predecessor mentioned in 1215. The church was abandoned in 1836, on the erection of the present parish church.

The churchyard contains some old gravestones taken from the graveyard at Abriachan. (NH53SE 2).

J D Smith 1835; Name Book 1871; J Ross 1883; W Mackay 1893

The remains of this church, still known as Kilmore, are almost completely ivy-covered. It is built of roughly coursed masonry with rubble infilling and is oriented NNW - SSE measuring 7.0m by 3.0m within a wall 0.6m thick standing nearly to roof height. The doorway in, the SSE, appears to have been rebuilt. A lancet window remains intact in the W wall.

No trace of an earlier church exists.

The graveyard is still in use.

Visited by OS (R L) 11 Feburary 1970

Architecture Notes

NH52NW 2.00 5152 2958

NH52NW 2.01 51557 29534 Burial Ground

Activities

Field Visit (17 September 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 4 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions