Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Netherton, 'old Hall'

Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Netherton, 'old Hall'

Classification Building (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 124452

Site Number NS96NW 20

NGR NS 9091 6572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/124452

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Shotts (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS96NW 20 9091 6572

The following site in North Lanarkshire has been identified and recorded during fieldwork carried out by the staff of West of Scotland Archaeology Service. Full details are available in the WoSAS SMR.

NS 9091 6572 Structure.

West of Scotland Archaeology Service 1997.

'The ruins of an old house... that it is traditionally handed down that this building had never been completed or occupied, and that it was founded about 200 years ago, by a Sir Charles Inglis intentionally as a mansion for one of his sons.

By the appearance of the ruins and the ground around would indicate that it had never been a place of note or residence for a gentleman.'

Name Book 1864. (Book No. 53, 54)

A single unroofed building annotated 'Ruin' is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1864, sheet ix), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 20 August 2000.

Activities

Resistivity (19 September 2010)

NS 9091 6572 An ornate skewput found being used as a

gatepost in a dairy wall of Southrigg Farm W of Armadale

prompted a search for its original site. The Old Hall at

Netherton was identified as the nearest possible source. Allan

Mackenzie at Airdrie Library pointed out the association of

the Hall with Dowager Lady Torphichen from the survey

by William Forrest (1816). A kite aerial photograph (KAP)

was taken of the site, and on 19 September 2010 a ground

resistance survey, of a 2 x 20m grid, was carried out on the

remains of the building and c13m of ground to its eastern

side.

A ditch can be seen as a curving white feature on the

ground resistance plot and on the KAP. The black area

indicates high resistance and reflects the geology around

the feature, with more discernible structural elements in the

middle. An L-shaped feature can be seen to the left within

the bank and ditch in the KAP image and this was also

recorded on the resistance survey. Part of this structure

appears to extend out of the southern bank into the field.

To the E there are similar high resistance linear features,

but they do not form any discernible structure and become

less clear further E. The large high resistance signatures

are possibly masking more ephemeral structures. There

are no obvious signs of building rubble extending across

the survey area, suggesting any remaining foundations are

possibly more complete than was first thought. It is possible

that the structure was never completed as described in

early accounts, or that stone was removed and used in

other buildings in the area. It is considered that the site

is worth further investigation, using either further targeted

geophysical survey, kite aerial photography in the near

infra-red or intrusive excavation.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: West Lothian Archaeology Group

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions