Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, George Heriot's School, Science Block

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, George Heriot's School, Science Block

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 124106

Site Number NT27SE 13.04

NGR NT 25452 73272

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/124106

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (10 June 2009)

On the keystone above the entrance to the building is a profile portrait of George Heriot, with a beard and wearing a ruff.

Between the first and second floors is a scrolled inscription panel, above which is a star. To either side of the star is a half-griffon holding a swag of material in its beak.

On top of the lead roof at the top of the oriel is a lion sejant, wearing a crown and holding a sword in its right forepaw and a sceptre in its left.

Inscriptions : On panel between first and second floors of oriel window above entrance:

SCIENCE / LABOR- / ATORIES / ERECTED / .1911.

Signatures : None Visible

Year of unveiling : 1911

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1528)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions