Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 23a, 23b George Square

Chaplaincy (20th Century), House (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 23a, 23b George Square

Classification Chaplaincy (20th Century), House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) University Of Edinburgh Greek Orthodox Chaplaincy Centre

Canmore ID 122535

Site Number NT27SE 1800

NGR NT 25738 72902

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/122535

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Interior view of the chapel seen from the East; this is the ground floor principal room with an inserted vaulted ceiling.
Interior view of the chapel seen from the East; this is the ground floor principal room with an inserted vaulted ceiling.Interior view of the rear ground floor bedroom seen from the East.View of the rear of the building seen from the West.Interior view of the chapel seen from the West; this is the ground floor principal room with an inserted vaulted ceiling.Photograph of Nos 22, 23a, 23 and 24 George Square
Interior view of the attic filled with boxes and chairs seen from the hatch.View of the front facade seen from the East.Interior view of the hall seen from the East.Interior view of the chapel seen from the West; this is the ground floor principal room with an inserted vaulted ceiling.Interior view of the chapel seen from the East; this is the ground floor principal room with an inserted vaulted ceiling.Detail of the cornice in the attic, previously in the original ground floor principal room.Interior view of the cornice in the attic, originally in the principal room on the ground floor and in disrepair.View of the front facade seen from the East.Card folder containing photographs of George Square. Front cover has pencil notes describing the photographs inside.
Edinburgh Photographic Society Survey of Edinburgh District, Ward XIV George Square.View of the rear of the building seen from the West.Interior view of the altar table at the East end of the chapel.Interior view of the vaulted room to the West in the basement seen from the North.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Publication Account (1951)

144. George Square.

This is the earliest, as well as the largest of the Georgian squares of Edinburgh, having been begun about 1766 and completed about 1785. Built on the grounds of Lady Ross's house, which fell gently towards the Meadows on the S., it measures about 516 ft. from N.N.W. to S.S.E. by 663 ft. from E.N.E. to W.S.W. There is an access at each corner, and originally each side was divided by a lane or street of which there survive only Windmill Street on the E. and the nameless lane on the S. leading into Buccleuch Place and North Meadow Walk. The square provided sixty building-stances in all, roughly fifteen on each side. These lots average 30 ft. in frontage and are sufficiently deep to leave room for back gardens with accesses both from the houses and from a lane. In the central area there is a common garden four and a half acres in extent.

Most of the houses are self-contained, terrace-houses comprising a sunk floor, three upper floors and an attic, the latest buildings-those situated at the E. end of the S. side-having in addition a cellarage and, in one case, a double attic, making seven storeys in all. In seven cases, however, the building consists of a main-door house with a flat or flats above it. The earlier houses, namely those remaining on the N. side and on the W. side up to Number 27, with Number 60 at the N. end of the E. side, are built of Craigmillar stone in all its various hues, relieved by dark-coloured "sneckings" in the characteristic manner of Michael Naysmith. From Number 28 to Number 59 the fronts are of Craigleith ashlar, sometimes polished but more commonly droved. In all cases the backs are of rubble.

There is considerable diversity in the several house-fronts, always subordinated, however, to the architectural unity of the Square as a whole. The entrances invariably have handsome doorways, in one or other of the versions of the Classic orders favoured at the time, and Numbers 25 and 29 have good fanlights above the doors. Some houses show a neat moulded cornice and rusticated quoins. Considerable use is made of stone belts to counteract the vertical lines of the Georgian windows. As regards the fenestration, the windows of Number 60 represent the most interesting arrangement. Number 15 has an early and interesting bay-window looking out on its garden.

Internally the houses are well planned and contain spacious and dignified rooms. Most of them retain their Georgian mantelpieces. Number 52 has wall-paintings by Paul Delacour which the owners have papered over. One or two houses have enriched plaster friezes which are probably original although the enriched plaster ceiling in the dining-room of Number 25 may be modern. The woodwork of doors, shutters, dado panelling, etc., is all of the highest quality.

RCAHMS 1951, visited c.1941

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions