Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cadder Marshalling Yard

Marshalling Yard (20th Century)

Site Name Cadder Marshalling Yard

Classification Marshalling Yard (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cadder Yard; Cadder Railway Sidings

Canmore ID 122405

Site Number NS67SW 55

NGR NS 6365 7124

NGR Description Centred NS 6365 7124

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/122405

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Cadder (Strathkelvin-du)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67SW 55 centred 6365 7124

Cadder Yard [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1990.

Not to be confused with Glasgow, Millerston, Robroystron Marshalling Yard (centred NS 6418 6818), for which see NS66NW 363.

The provision of new and technologically advanced marshalling yards in Scotland was a major feature of the 1955 Modernisation Plan for British Railways, being intended to replace a far greater number of smaller yards of simpler design and more limited capacity. The five Scottish locations selected for construction or development were Thornton (NT29NE 14.00) in Fife, Millerhill (NT37SW 1127) in Lothian, Perth (NO12NW 104), Cadder (NS67SW 55) to the NE of Glasgow, and Mossend (NS76SW 159) in South Lanarkshire. In the event, Cadder continued in use in much its former state, serving the northern side of the Glasgow conurbation.

M Rhodes 1988.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions