Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverbervie, Craig David, Underground Headquarters, Aerial Field

Radar Site (20th Century), Radio Mast (20th Century)

Site Name Inverbervie, Craig David, Underground Headquarters, Aerial Field

Classification Radar Site (20th Century), Radio Mast (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Craigdavid; Bervie Brow; Inverbervie

Canmore ID 122204

Site Number NO87SW 65.01

NGR NO 8407 7348

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/122204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kinneff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SW 65.01 8416 7333

Vertical air photography (Fairey Coastal Colour 7343 3212-13, flown 11 August 1973) has recorded a small radio station about 150m SE of the underground headquarters and probably associated with it; it has been approached up a continuation of the same track and is situated on the highest point of Bervie Brow at an altitude of 137m OD, from where it commands a wide view out over the North Sea. A single pole mast of considerable height stands within a fenced enclosure and has a small hut (possibly to contain amplifiers) at the base. Situated 50m to the NNE and 40m to the SW respectively, there are square bases which have apparently supported radio or radar antennae of considerable size.

The earliest-available vertical air photography (540/RAF/1383 F21 0303-4, flown 7 August 1954) records what are probably radar heads (revealed by their shadows) on both bases and imagery (540/RAF/1383 F21 0303-4) of August 1954 records what is probably a radar head on the more northerly base; in neither form can the type or form of the antenna be distinguished. Air photography of 1967 (OS 67/059/084-5, flown 25 April 1967 and OS 67/287/027-8, flown 27 July 1967) records only the two bases and a small hut to the W; the radar heads had evidently been removed by that date but the pole mast was only erected later.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 October 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions