Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strichen House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Strichen House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Strichen House Estate; Strichen House Policies

Canmore ID 121695

Site Number NJ95SW 22

NGR NJ 93569 54224

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121695

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strichen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ95SW 22.00 93569 54224

NJ95SW 22.01 93202 54256 The Kennels (Kennels Cottage and Kennels)

NJ95SW 22.02 93828 54274 Walled Garden

NJ95SW 22.03 93895 54293 Gardener's Cottage

NJ95SW 22.04 93240 54435 Chapel

NJ95SW 22.05 93489 54361 Hermitage, Circular Structure

NJ95SW 22.06 93708 54434 Dovecot

NJ95SW 22.07 c. 935 542 Tower-house

NJ95SW 22.08 93707 54011 Stable block

NJ95SW 22.09 93957 53902 Strichen Mains

For stone circle (NJ 9367 5447) in the Strichen House policies, see NJ95SW 2.

Built (1818-21) by John Smith for 'Mormond Tam' Fraser, replacing the 17th century palace of Strichn. The estate came into the possession of the Baird family in the mid 19th century, and the house is now a roofless granite shell.

C McKean 1990.

Air photographs: AAS/97/08/CT and AAS/97/08/G17/2, flown 19 June 1997.

NMRS, MS/712/24.

Architecture Notes

NJ95SW 22.00 93569 54224

NMRS NOTES

Strichen House: FGutted c. 1954

Built in 1821 by Lord Lovat, now gutted. (Source Aberdeenshire 3rd Statistical Account Pub 1960).

ARCHITECT: John Smith 1826. Grounds laid out by Mr W S Gilpin, English landscape gardiner.

Site Management (22 May 1990)

Former neo-classical mansion built in rough ashlar granite for Lord Lovat to designs by John Smith. The house is now a roofless shell, partially obscured by a cattle shed erected in place of the former portico of fluted Doric columns. The landscaped grounds by William Sawrey Gilpin (1762-1845) are now obscured by farmland. (Dean & Miers) In the mid 19th century the estate came into the possession of the Baird Family, owners of the famous Gartsherrie Iron Works. (C McKean)

Activities

Photographic Survey (April 1961)

Photographs of Strichen House, stables and dovecot, Aberdeenshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in April 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions