Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 119, 121 And 123 Cowgate, Scott's Close

Term Pending

Site Name Edinburgh, 119, 121 And 123 Cowgate, Scott's Close

Classification Term Pending

Canmore ID 120919

Site Number NT27SE 1721

NGR NT 2576 7343

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120919

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Scott's or Scot's Close is recorded in 1707 and shown on Edgar 1742. It was evidently named for Thomas Scott, listed in 1635 as an occupier owning a dyeworks and well, who may have been the Thomas Scott, burgess and brewer, mentioned in titles of 1707 as a former owner, along with Charles Scott of Bavelaw, of the "Moffat Well" brewery in the close. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 558)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions