Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cowgate, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Cowgate, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Merchant's Court; Hope House; Back Close

Canmore ID 120878

Site Number NT27SE 1693

NGR NT 2576 7345

NGR Description Centred NT 2576 7345

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120878

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Depicted on the coloured 1st edition of the O.S. 1:1056 scale map (Edinburgh and its Environs, 1854, sheets 35 and 36).

REFERENCE: EDINBURGH CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY

J G Tunny's Photographs of Edinburgh, 1855 (Accession 42374) -1 photograph (No 10); -notes and photographs (c.1866); -3 photographs (c.1887)

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

In the National Library of Scotland, Vol.88, Nos 6, 21 and 30 of Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate, are views in the Cowgate. Reference "Adv.MSS.34.8.1-3". See under "Water Colour Sketches, Series of, by Thomas Brown, Advocate".

REFERENCE: NOTE FROM ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE SLIP

Relating to Cowgate, Back Close (unable to locate).

Demolished 1891 -a narrow close with overhanging timber and plaster additions

Plans shown in McGibbon and Ross's "Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland" Vol IV, page 460.

REFERENCE: PLANS

Relating to City Glass Company (unable to locate).

Dick Peddie & McKay, Edinburgh additions and alterations

Dick Peddie & McKay & Jamieson 1947

NOTE FROM ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE SLIP

Relating to Cowgate, Free Church (unable to locate).

ARCHITECT: Shiells & Thomson 1879

INFORMATION FROM ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE SLIPS

Relating to Cowgate, Hope House (unable to locate).

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

Country Life 3rd January 1925 -photograph of door

REFERENCE: EDINBURGH CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY

Oil painting by Charles H. Woolford, 1887

REFERENCE: ANTIQUARARIES LIBRARY (NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND??)

"Memorials -Information and Illustration of Edinburgh in Olden Time" by Daniel Wilson, 1981, Vol II page 148 1/2

Anent Old Edinburgh, by A.Hay Dunlop -article and view

REFERENCE: NMRS HISTORICAL FILE

4 pages of typed text giving details of Hope House and its history -FILED UNDER "THE HOPE HOUSE, COWGATE"

Refer also to "Old Houses in Edinburgh" drawn by Bruce J. Home, published in Edinburgh at John Knox's House by William J.Hay, part VII -plate showing front of Hope House, Cowgate -1887.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1852, scale 5 feet to 1 mile, gives in the Edinburgh Sheet 35 the block plan of the old Hope House, showing the pend and courtyard. See in "Early Views and Maps of Edinburgh 1544-1853".

For block plan and for diagrams of inscribed lintels see under "GEORGE IV BRIDGE, EDINBURGH CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY" in NMRS HISTORICAL FILE.

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new fencing

Attic 2, Bin 5, Bag 3 Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson 1950

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1811.

Pet. Mrs Alison Gray, widow of Andrew Gray of Southfield.

Head of Cowgate.

Alteration of street floor into shops.

Elevation of whole block before alteration.

Plan & elevation of proposed work. Unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1812. January-June. 2.4.1812.

Pet. William Inglis, WS and Alexander Lawrie, bookseller and stationer.

Cowgate Street and Niddry Street.

Additions to St Cecilia's Hall at south for Freemasons.

Plan and elevation in poor condition. Signed J Thin.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1812. January-June. 11.6.1812.

Pet. o Robert Watson and his wife.

Fronting the Pleasance, corner house on east side, at the entry to the Pleasance from

the Cowgate.

Minor alterations - convert ground floor into two shops.

Plan and two floor elevations. Unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1812. July-December. 6.8.1812.

Pet. John Watson, Cabinet maker, Cowgate.

Blackfriars Wynd - the foot.

To rebuild.

Plans Elevation enclosed 4 floors. signed William Bryce.

19 June 1812.

Sources: Dean of Guild. 24.3.1814.

Pet. Charles Stobie, Sawyer.

Small houses in Fairlie's Entry, Cowgate - north side.

Minor alterations.

Elevation enclosed, to Bell's Wynd, unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild 26.5.1814.

Pet. Joseph Bookless, Spirit Dealer in cowgate.

Dick's close, Cowgate.

Improvements to house on west side of close.

Plan and elevation of house, unsigned.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Prints and Drawings:

T.P.Marwick Collection - Jan 1902 - feuing plan of Cowgate and corner of Candlemaker Row.

Unable to locate at time of upgrade 15.2.2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions