Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Great Cumbrae Island, Millport, College Street, Cathedral Of The Isles And Collegiate Church Of The Holy Spirit

Cathedral (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Great Cumbrae Island, Millport, College Street, Cathedral Of The Isles And Collegiate Church Of The Holy Spirit

Classification Cathedral (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Episcopal Cathedral Of Argyll And The Isles; Episcopal Cathedral With Collegiate Buildings And Cloister

Canmore ID 120846

Site Number NS15NE 25

NGR NS 16577 55240

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120846

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Cumbrae
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NS15NE 25.00 16577 55240

Episcopal Cathedral and College [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2010.

NS15NE 25.01 NS 1659 5526 College

NS15NE 25.02 NS 1659 5522 College

NS15NE 25.03 NS 16613 55223 Halls

NS15NE 25.04 NS c. 16571 55218 Sundial

NMRS REFERENCE

ARCHITECT: William Butterfield 1849-51

NMRS Photographic Survey of drawings for the Cathedral of the Isles including; designs by William Butterfield 1849-1850 and record drawings of Iona Abbey by JC and CA Buckler.

Copied 1979 Inventory 103

NMRS MICROFILM AND MICROFICHE COLLECTION

Monumental Inscriptions Within Cunninghame District

Copyright: Cunninghame District Council

Acc No. 1990/57

Reel 1 (Cumbrae and Largs), accompanied by index on microfiche.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Architecture Notes (May 2002)

Cathedral of the Isles, Great Cumbrae was recorded as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey in April 2002 during an ongoing programme of restoration by Gray Marshall Architects.

The Episcopal College of the Holy Spirit was founded in 1849 by George Frederick Boyle, later the Earl of Glasgow. The foundation stone of the church was laid 29 May 1849 and it was opened for public worship on Whit-Sunday 1851. It was to become a cathedral in 1876. The Canon’s House or South College was completed in 1850 and the Chorister’s House or North College in the following October. The whole complex was designed by William Butterfield one of the principal architects of the Oxford Movement of which Boyle was a staunch supporter. An extensive record was made of all the buildings prior to a large-scale programme of restoration. The terraced grounds, the graveyard and out buildings were included in the survey of this very important 19th century ecclesiastical site. RCAHMS STG MAY 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions