Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wick, Hill Of Man

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Wick, Hill Of Man

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) W2; South Head

Canmore ID 119920

Site Number ND34NE 28

NGR ND 3735 4970

NGR Description Centred ND 3735 4970

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119920

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND34NE 28 centred 3735 4970

This heavy anti-aircraft battery was situated at the SW end of a row of houses on Hill of Man. Nothing survives of this battery in an area which has now been made into a cycle track across several small mounds.

The battery was armed with two 3-inch guns.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.1, 37

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is visible on WW II vertical air photographs (NLA 16, 666-667, flown 22 June 1941 in an area SE of Wick known as Hill of Man. The postwar RAF vertical air photographs also show the gun battery, though the two emplacements have already been partly demolished and the hutted camp removed.

Clearly visible on the 1941 photographs are the two gun-emplacements (ND 3735 4970 with a small command bunker to the W. The accommodation camp is about 150m to the NW (centred ND 3730 4980) and consisted of about fifteen Nissen huts.

The site has been cleared and a row of 'Coastguard houses' now occupies part of the where the battery once stood and a disturbed area at the SE end of the Coastguard cottages may signify the location of the emplacements.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2000

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation

ND 3723 4986 A desk-based assessment and a trial trenching

evaluation were undertaken 31 March–16 May 2010 in

advance of a residential development. The area was the site

of two anti-aircraft batteries and associated buildings during

WW2. Previous work in 2008 (DES 2008, 119), had recorded

WW2 gun bases and possible signs of rig and furrow

cultivation. The evaluation consisted of the trial trenching of

10% of Phase 1 of the development in the NW corner of the

site. No finds or features of archaeological significance were

recorded in an area that has apparently been ploughed for

generations and disturbed by the building and demolition of

the military battery and subsequent activity.

Archive: Highland Archaeology Services Ltd

Funder: Pentland Housing Association

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions