Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Belford Road, Dean Free Church Hostel

Church (19th Century), Hostel (21st Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Belford Road, Dean Free Church Hostel

Classification Church (19th Century), Hostel (21st Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 3-4, 6 Belford Road, Belford Church; 6 Douglas Gardens

Canmore ID 119277

Site Number NT27SW 634

NGR NT 23888 73771

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 634 23888 73771

Edinburgh Dean Free Church plans, 1888 Bin 45 Bag 3 Sydney Mitchell & Wilson Drawings, Dick Peddie & McKay collection, donated to NMRS on 23.8.1995

3, 4, Belford Road, formerly Dean Free Church and later (c1890) Dean Studio (an artist's studio) which burnt down on 23.9.1954.

The gate pillars were removed in 1992 by a developer who had obtained consent for an office block on the site and have been placed at a property in East Lothian.

The font from Belford Church (which replaced Dean Free Church) was removed to Well Court where it stands in a circular space at the riverside close to the footbridge. The church records do not reveal whether the font, like the church and Well Court had been designed by Sidney Mitchell.

Information from Miss Forrester, Dean Village Association.

NMRS photocopy of Dean Village News 91 with an article The Dean Studio by Elizabeth Cumming.



Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh new

Attic 2, Bin 6, Bag 3 13 Young Street 1888

(Undated) information in NMRS.


Note (11 November 2020)

A war memorial window of two light stained glass windows with tracery was described in the Imperial War Museum database of war memorials in 2008. The window had been moved, at as yet to be determined date, from their original site in St Cuthbert's United Free Church, Spittal Street, Edinburgh.

Information from HES (AKK) 11 November 2020


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions