Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dornie

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dornie

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunan

Canmore ID 11805

Site Number NG82NE 13

NGR NG 8824 2645

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11805

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG82NE 13 8824 2645.

The foundation of an old 'castle' can be seen on the Dunan - a piece of rising ground behind Dr Mathieson's house at Dornie. In 1800 part of the walls stood 10' - 12' high.

Finds from the site include two stone ladles, a stone image, a block seal, and in the garden ground between the 'castle' and the present house, a stone cist was discovered. Dr Mathieson says that in some old records it is stated that a Paliament was held here.

T Wallace 1898.

At NG 8824 2645 on the sloping ground behind Dornie Hotel, previously Dr Matheison's house, there is a small flat-topped spur, fairly steep on the W side, but tapering into the natural lie of the hill in the E, which is undoubtedly the site of the 'castle' described by Wallace (T Wallace 1898). No trace of any foundations, and no local knowledge of a castle, the name "Dunan", or the finds made in the vicinity. Topography and description of the structure suggest a broch.

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 September 1966.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

NG82 3 DUNAN (‘Dornie’)

NG/8824 2645

Possible broch in Lochalsh, Ross and Cromarty, parts of the walls of which were apparently standing 3.0 - 3.6m (10-12 ft) high in 1800; the foundations could be seen in 1890 [2]. There is nothing to be seen now [1] at the site which is on a small, flat-topped spur.

Finds reported to have been made there include 2 stone “ladles” – perhaps handled cups, a stone “image”, and a “block seal”.

Sources 1. NMRS site no. NG 82 NE 13: 2. Wallace 1898, 115.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions