Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 84, 86, 88 Candlemaker Row, Greyfriars Kirk House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 84, 86, 88 Candlemaker Row, Greyfriars Kirk House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 117894

Site Number NT27SE 1441

NGR NT 25574 73380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117894

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1441 25574 73380

The surviving ground and first floor of a 19th Century tenement building, the upper floors demolished possibly after a murder in the early 20th Century. The ground floor was a public house for some time until the mid 20th Century, it has also been used as a venue for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe for some years. There is some suggestion that the cellars may be from an earlier date.

Information from RCAHMS, 2007

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (16 June 2010 - 17 June 2010)

NT 255 734 An evaluation of a proposed development site was carried out 16–17 June 2010. Rubble deposits sealed the cellar of a tenement that had been largely demolished in the mid-20th century. Two medieval features, a large pit and a possible ditch, were recorded in trial trenches. Both features lay beneath the footprint of recently demolished warehouses dating from the 18th–19th century and contained White Gritty Ware pottery dating to the 12th to 15th centuries AD and charred cereal grains including oat, hulled barley and club/bread wheat. Medieval pottery sherds from the 13th–15th century were recovered from a deep deposit in an engineering test pit towards the NW corner of the site.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk

James McMeekin – Headland Archaeology Ltd

Excavation (16 June 2010 - 17 June 2010)

An evaluation at the site of Greyfriars Kirkhouse, Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh in order to satisfy a planning condition set by the City of Edinburgh Council. The work was commissioned by Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk and followed previous phases of trial trenching and historic building recording. Three trial trenches were excavated revealing a cellar, possibly associated with the 20th century tenements on the site and two large negative features, possibly large pits or ditches of medieval date lay beneath the recently demolished warehouses dating from the 18th–19th centuries. The two large negative features contained pottery dating to the 12th – 15th centuries ad and may relate to the original expansion of the medieval burgh and/or the foundation of Greyfriars monastery. Further medieval finds dating to the 13th–15th centuries ad were recovered from a deposit within an engineering test pit located towards the north-west corner of the site, though the presence of modern material may indicate that the medieval finds in this deposit were redeposited in the 19th century or later. Further excavation is required to further characterise the archaeological features identified during the evaluation.

Headland Archaeology (J. McMeekin) OASIS ID: HEADLAND1-78758

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions