Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 42 Candlemaker Row

Meeting Hall (18th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 42 Candlemaker Row

Classification Meeting Hall (18th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Candlemakers' Hall

Canmore ID 117884

Site Number NT27SE 1431

NGR NT 25671 73305

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117884

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1431

Candlemaker Hall -fine four-storeyed block with two square stair towers projecting to the street. Over the door of one is a defaced panel containing a shield and the date 1722. This house was reconstructed by the City in 1929.

REFERENCE: CITY ARCHITECTS' PLAN STORE

Various plans.

No. 36, built by James Watson in 1722, contains the former hall of the Incorporation of Candlemakers. Restored in 1929 by E J MacRae, together with the adjoining Nos. 40-42, originally two 17th-century tenements (Henry's Land and Binny of Nisbet's Land) bought by the Candlemakers in 1733-4 and altered by them soon after.

W F Gray 1930; RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions