Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, West Princes Street Gardens, The Genius Of Architecture Crowning The Theory And Practice Of Art

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, West Princes Street Gardens, The Genius Of Architecture Crowning The Theory And Practice Of Art

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Genius Of Architecture Rewarding The Science And Practice Of The Art

Canmore ID 117449

Site Number NT27SE 1358

NGR NT 25269 73756

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117449

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1358 25269 73756

ARCHITECT: William Brodie, c1862.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (4 October 2000)

A lady placing a laurel wreath on the heads of two boys in kilts and jackets, standing on a hexagonal pedestal. The lady is crowned, the boy to her left is standing holding an open scroll on which a design is visible. The boy on the right is kneeling and joining blocks of stone together with a trowel.

An alternative title for this sculpture group is 'The Genius of Architecture rewarding the Science and Practice of the Art'.

Inscriptions : On the back of the sculpture group (carved by sculptors J.S. & A. Rhind in 1936):

WILLIAM BRODIE R.S.A.

SCULPTOR

1815 - 1881

Signatures : None

Design period : 1862

Year of unveiling : 1891

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0176)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions