Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Applecross, St Maelrubha's Cell

Building (Period Unassigned), Monastic Settlement (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Applecross, St Maelrubha's Cell

Classification Building (Period Unassigned), Monastic Settlement (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 11741

Site Number NG74SW 1

NGR NG 7167 4495

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11741

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Applecross
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG74SW 1 7167 4495

See also NG74NW 1.

The name 'Apple Cross' .... applies to four trees.. formerly called Comeraich (Name Book 1875). Watson (W J Watson 1904) says "the four trees in the form of an oblong with a (supposed) crabapple in the centre was absurdly propounded as the origin of the name Applecross. This is the supposed site of Maelrubha's cell and is called 'Lagan na Comraich', 'the little hollow of the sanctuary'.

The present remains, situated at NG 7167 4495, comprise the apparent footings of a small building, one side of which abuts on the road boundary wall, measuring about 4 m square with walling 1 m thick. There is a tree stump at each corner: the interior is featureless.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 28 April 1965; Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1904.

St Maelrubha planted a monastery at Applecross in AD 673. (See NG74NW 1)

W D Simpson 1935.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions