Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, East Princes Street Gardens, Professor John Wilson Statue

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, East Princes Street Gardens, Professor John Wilson Statue

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 116835

Site Number NT27SE 844

NGR NT 25447 73865

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116835

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (15 June 2000)

Standing figure of Wilson holding his cloak around him with his right hand in which he also holds a quill, and leaning on a palm tree stump with his left hand. Holding folded papers in his left hand. On pedestal with integral colums with foliate capitals at each corner (of two designs).

The pedestal is the same as the pedestal on the Allan Ramsay monument. Both were designed by David Bryce

John Wilson, born 1785 near Paisley. Appointed Professor of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh University in 1819. Died in Edinburgh 1854. Buried in the Dean Cemetery. Wilson made his name writing for Blackwood's Magazine under the pseudonym of Christopher North.

Inscriptions : On north side of pedestal:

JOHN WILSON

BORN 18TH MAY 1785

DIED 1ST APRIL 1854

Signatures : On base of plant on which Wilson leans:

JN STEELL . R.S.A.

Sculpt Edinr

1865

Design period : 1856 - 1865

Year of unveiling : 1865

Unveiling details : 25 March 1865

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0172)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions