Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kyle Of Lochalsh, Main Street, Kyle Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kyle Of Lochalsh, Main Street, Kyle Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 11670

Site Number NG72NE 6

NGR NG 76163 27339

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Kyle of Lochalsh. This doughty village has developed inauspiciously behind the rugged Plock of Kyle in scarcely more than a century, its 'raison d'etre' the railhead connection with the ferry to Skye. From 1897, when the London Midland and Scottish Railway extended its Dingwall-Stromeferry line of 1870 to terminate here, Kyle Akin - a ferry crossing from at least the 17th century - superseded Kyle Rhea as the principal channel for crossings to Skye, and a ferry and steamer port was established where previously there existed just an inn (established 1701, later called Kyle House and still in evidence at the core of the present Kyle Hotel) and a few houses and shops.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions