Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culgower Steading

Barn (19th Century), Farmstead (19th Century), Threshing Machine (19th Century)

Site Name Culgower Steading

Classification Barn (19th Century), Farmstead (19th Century), Threshing Machine (19th Century)

Canmore ID 116666

Site Number NC91SE 31.01

NGR NC 97569 11770

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116666

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Loth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC91SE 31.01 97569 11770

The OS Object Name Book (ONB) describes the steading as 'A farmsteading one storey high partly thatched and partly slated and in good repair. Property of the Duke of Sutherland'.

Name Book 1879

This is a multi-period farmstead dating from the 1820s and the1850s. There is an L-shaped plan range consisting of a barn with threshing machine and water-wheel site in one wing and lofted stables and livestock sheds in the other. In the area within the 'L', there are the later covered cattle courts and outward-facing cartsheds. There is also a freestanding cartshed to the W with, at one end, a dovecot over the henhouse. The farmstead was disused when visited and was generally in poor, and in some parts bad, condition.

Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), July 1994 and November 1996; see NMRS MS 744/130/2.

Site Management (10 May 1996)

Large L-plan rubble barn with a threshing mill and water wheel in one wing and lofted stables and livestock sheds in the other. Covered cattle courts and cartsheds stand adjacent, with a further free-standing cartshed to the west featuring a doocot and hen house at one end.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions