Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, Lawnmarket, Gosford's Close

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Lawnmarket, Gosford's Close

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) George Iv Bridge

Canmore ID 116464

Site Number NT27SE 1249

NGR NT 2561 7356

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Was situated on the site of the West pavement of George IV Bridge.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Gosford's Close was swept away in the building of George IV Bridge in about 1830. Shown as Gosford's Close on Edgar 1742, it got this name from Alexander Acheson of Gosford, East Lothian, who had a tenement here in the 1580s, although as a "burgess dwelling to landward" he was excused certain of the taxes upon burgesses. From a slightly earlier period the close was Dickson's Close, for Allan Dickson, frequently a bailie between 1550 and 1565; and in 1635 Andro and Charles Dikesone are listed among owner occupiers on the west side of the close. Yet earlier it was Aikman's Close, for James Aikman, merchant, tenant of a booth in the Boothraw in 1482 and mentioned in RMS (Register of the Great Seal of Scotland) 1491 as owning property on the south side of the High Street.

(from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, pages 300-1)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions