Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Regent Road, Burns' Monument

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Regent Road, Burns' Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 116444

Site Number NT27SE 1233

NGR NT 26519 74008

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116444

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 1233 26519 74008

Burns' Monument [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, March 2010.

Architecture Notes

Architect: Thomas Hamilton 1830-2

REFERENCE

Public Library

'Story of Edinburgh Burns Relics' by Robert Duncan 1910 - history of relics

'The World's Memorials of Robert Burns by Ed. Goodwillie - photographic illustrations

Historical File 'Burns Monument' - historical information.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 January 2001)

Three griffons are situated on the top of the monument. Below this is an ornate floral attic. Under this is a circular cella, ornamated with lyres, and around the cella are Corinthian columns, in temple style. This is all supported on a base.

Based on the monument of Lysicrates. Originally the base contained a marble statue of Burns by John Flaxman (now in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery). It also contained relics of Burns (now in The Writers' Museum, Lady Stair's House).

Inspected By : Emma Retson

Inscriptions : None Visible

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1830 - 1832

Notes : Being restored 2009

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1000)

Photographic Survey (12 August 2009)

The Threatened Building Survey team visited the Burns' Monument on 12 August 2009, having been given access to the scaffolding to carry out a photographic survey. Unfortunately, the top section of scaffolding had been removed prior to the RCAHMS visit but a record was made of the entablature, capitals and details.

Conservation

Conservation work on the Burn's Monument began in early 2009. The works form part of Edinburgh World Heritage & City of Edinburgh Council's Twelve Monuments Restoration Project, a three year initiative which is aimed at restoring key monuments and statues within the WHS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions