Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street, General Register House, Duke Of Wellington Statue

Statue (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street, General Register House, Duke Of Wellington Statue

Classification Statue (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Wellington Monument

Canmore ID 115603

Site Number NT27SE 1175

NGR NT 25843 74022

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115603

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 1175 25843 74022

Statue [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2009.

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1175 25843 74022

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

1838-1841

Correspondence and papers relating to proposed monuments to the 1st Duke of Wellington in London and Edinburgh. They include a proposal by the Earl of Elgin that the Edinburgh monument should be situated on Arthur's Seat.

GD 224/511/8

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (27 February 2003)

Bronze statue of the Duke of Wellington on a rearing horse. Wellington is bareheaded, wearing a cloak and riding boots with spurs. He holds his hat and reins with his left hand and points across the horse's body with his raised right hand. He has a sword at his left side. The horse is looking slightly to its left. All atop a granite pedestal.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On S. side of pedestral, in incised letters:

WELLINGTON

Signatures : On girth on near side (E.) of horse :-

JN STEELL / sculpt / Edinr 18th June / 1852

Design period : 1848 - 1852

Unveiling details : Unveiled 18 June 1852

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0947)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions