Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lerwick, The Knab, Coastal Battery

Anti Aircraft Battery (Second World War), Coastal Battery (First World War)

Site Name Lerwick, The Knab, Coastal Battery

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (Second World War), Coastal Battery (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Lerwick Defences: "bx" Site

Canmore ID 115447

Site Number HU44SE 91

NGR HU 4794 4049

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115447

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Lerwick
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU44SE 91 4794 4049

This battery is situated SE of Lerwick, immediately W of Peerie Geo, at the end of the Knab Road. One gun emplacement and magazine remain. The second gun emplacement has been replaced by the turning circle at the end of the Knab Road. The battery formed part of the Coast Defences of Lerwick.

J Guy 1995; NMRS Ms 810/4, 164-5, 167

The one remaining gun-emplacement of the coast battery survives on the E side of Kanb Road about 37m NE of the turning circle.

The emplacement is circular and built of concrete with a low parapet wall surrounding the circular gun platform. The magazine (HU 47966 40505) is shown on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.

The battery is visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 97, 4047-4048, flown 18 May 1946), which show the two gun-emplacements, magazine and hut bases.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, AL), October 1998

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Field Visit (25 July 2017)

Situated on the knoll above the surviving First World War gun emplacement is a flat concrete base for a light anti-aircraft gun, a Bofors 40mm. This site codenamed 'BX' is recorded in files (WO 166/2051 and WO 166/2052) dated May 1940 and January 1941, held by the National Archives in Kew, London.

Visited by Historic Environment Scotland (AKK) 25 July 2017

Project

Recording Scotland's graffiti project was designed to review the range of historic and contemporary graffiti art across Scotland. It involved desk-based assessment and fieldwork at a number of example sites, to consider recording methodologies and dissemination practices.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions