Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 341 High Street, Roxburgh's Close

Public House (19th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 341 High Street, Roxburgh's Close

Classification Public House (19th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 115350

Site Number NT27SE 1147

NGR NT 2571 7362

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115350

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Roxburgh's Close is listed on Edgar 1742. It was named, not for any earl of Roxburgh (a story originating as a mere guess in Wilson) but for a professional cook, John Roxburgh, listed as owner and resident here in 1635, and presumably the cook of the same name who had been made a burgess in 1605 -or else he was a son following the same trade. Earlier, like many another close in the town, including Advocate's Close, the close was Cant's Close. Also, as early as 1578, it was Cruick's Close, for a William Crockie; and about the same time it was Henderson's or Henryson's Close, for Walter Henderson or Henryson of Granton, who had a house and property at the head of the close, part of it later becoming Roxburgh's Close. The close was also Newton's Close, about which nothing is known. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 538)

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (26 January 2010)

Three square tree surrounds, two in the small courtyard, one in the entry paved area, of open ironwork, incorporating lines suggesting tree roots. Each tree surround has four iron relief panels, one in the centre of each side, with symbols relating to each of the four Scottish trees (one over the wall). The panels represent fire and water, earth, air and sun, rain and space. The same four panels are repeated in different positions in each of the tree surrounds. The quadrant at the centre symbolises a slice through the tree trunk.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1999

Year of unveiling : 1999

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1555)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions