Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 269 High Street, Allan's Close

Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 269 High Street, Allan's Close

Classification Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 115343

Site Number NT27SE 1142

NGR NT 2578 7363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115343

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Stood on the site of the East section of the City Chambers.

Allan's Close is listed thus on Edgar 1742, but the origin of this particular name is obscure. Earlier it was Leche's or Leitch's Close, from an owner David Leche, recorded in 1528, whose son Archibald, deacon of the furriers, was also connected with the close. The yet older name Dougal's or Duell's Close, recorded as "Dowgallis" in Dean of Guild records 1554, traces back to a Symone Doweill mentioned in RMS (Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, Vols I-XI) 1507 as late owner of a tenement here, and it may also be remarked that, without saying exactly where it was, RMS 1425 mentions a burghal tenement in Edinburgh which had belonged to a deceased Symon Duwele. The close was also linked with John Dougal, probably one of a pair, father and son, who were prominent in the town council in the sixteenth century. It was also Dunlop's Close, deriving from owners of the name who included a John Dunlop as well as the Alexander Dunlop, advocate, listed as a resident in 1635. Yet another name, Abernethy's Close, was recorded in 1750, but its origin is obscure. The close was largely suppresses in the redevelopment of Cockburn Street in 1859 and the extension of the City Chambers in 1930-4, but a remnant of it descends to the south side of Cockburn Street. (from Stuart harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 58)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions