Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 117 High Street, Morrison's Close

Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 117 High Street, Morrison's Close

Classification Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 115300

Site Number NT27SE 1120

NGR NT 2600 7368

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115300

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Morrison's Close is listed on Edgar 1742 and redorded in 1750 as having a great house on its East side, owned of old by John Morison, merchant, and after him by John Morison of Dairsey. These may possibly have been the John Moresoun who was a bailie in 1582 and served on the town council in various capacities (including that of old or depute provost in 1590) until about 1603, and another John Morrison, merchant and member of town council in the 1630s, who was certainly connected with the close, being listed in 1635 as owner of property in it -albeit on the west side, not east. The close was also Callender's Close, for John Callender, deacon of the Hammermen in 1689. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 443)

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild 12.12.1812 - Dec 1813

Pet. Alexander Panton, PF, v William Simpson and others

Morrisons Close

House in ruinous state

Floor plans and section, unsigned

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 August 2002)

Relief carving of a thistle encircled by its leaves, fills the central space in the broken pediment above the door.

See EDIN0766

Inspected By : D.King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1902

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0767)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions