Compass Head, Grutness, Chain Home Low Radar Station
Pillbox (20th Century), Radar Station (20th Century)
Site Name Compass Head, Grutness, Chain Home Low Radar Station
Alternative Name(s) Sumburgh
Canmore ID 115258
Site Number HU40NW 5
NGR HU 40779 09354
NGR Description Centred HU 40779 09354
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Shetland Islands
- Parish Dunrossness
- Former Region Shetland Islands Area
- Former District Shetland
- Former County Shetland
HU40NW 5 centred 40779 09354
This Chain Home Low Radar Station is situated adjacent to an OS trig point at the end of a track leading to Compass Head. The main transmitter (Tx)/receiving (Rx) block is still in use by the Civil Aviation Authority. The engine room and other buildings are extant, as is the base of the mast. A pillbox is situated immediately to the N.
J Guy 1995; NMRS MS 810/4, 64-6
Buildings and bases recorded: Base HU 4074 0942; standing building, HU 4077 0946, mast base HU4078 0946; pillbox, HU 4078 0950; water tank and HU 4065 0970 (see HU40NW 12).
Information from Defence of Britain Project forms, A Purdy, August 1996.
Compass Head Radar Station is visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 97, 4027-4029, flown 18 May 1946), which show the Transmitter (Tx)/Receiver block (Rx) block, engine house and mast bases. The pillbox is visible as a circular feature about 13m NW of the Tx/Rx block.
All buildings have been constructed in concrete with flat roofs.
N of the building at HU 40769 09470 is a cross-shaped concrete platform almost certainly for a mast and the engine room is at HU 40732 09322.
To the N of the World War II remains a new Radar Dome has been constructed and an air light beacon built to the W.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), January 2006.