Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 107 High Street, Bailie Fyfe's Close

House (17th Century)(Possible)

Site Name Edinburgh, 107 High Street, Bailie Fyfe's Close

Classification House (17th Century)(Possible)

Canmore ID 115131

Site Number NT27SE 1100

NGR NT 2602 7369

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115131

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Bailie Fyfe's Close is shown on Edgar 1742 and was named for Gilbert Fyfe, merchant and three times bailie within the period 1677-86, who had a house on its West side. It was earlier Barry's Close, of untraced derivation, although a Dr Samuel Barrow was made free burgess and freeman in 1657, and a Martin Barra was witness to a judgement of the bailies in 1542. Also before 1706 it was known as Trotter's Close, from John Trotter, elder, who owned a tenement in the West side of the close, and was living in it in 1635, the year in which he became laird of Mortonhall. East Bailie Fyfe's Close was a name for Paisley Close (see NT 27SE 1119) entering the same court. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, pages 281-2)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions