Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 43 High Street, Netherbow Centre

Cafe (Modern), Restaurant (Period Unassigned), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 43 High Street, Netherbow Centre

Classification Cafe (Modern), Restaurant (Period Unassigned), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Netherbow; Netherbow Theatre; Netherbow Arts Centre; Scottish Storytelling Centre

Canmore ID 115115

Site Number NT27SE 1099

NGR NT 2610 7370

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/115115

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Built in 1971-2 on the site of the Moray-Knox Church (NT 27SE 1099.01) which was demolished in the late 1960s.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (14 August 2002)

The Netherbow centre sign was a large castle with many towers, with two figures below a raised portcullis.

The keystones were carved in low relief with, from left to right, (1) a crown and crossed sword and septre, (2) a thistle, (3) a saltire, and (4) a three-towered castle

The Netherbow Centre was built in 1971-2 and closed in 2003. In 2006 it reopened as the Scottish Storytelling Centre.

The sign was taken down early 2004 and scrapped (although the lettering was retained).

The sign depicted the Netherbow Port, the east gate to the city of Edinburgh, remodelled in 1606 and demolished in 1764. (1)

Inspected By : KM Withey/D. King

Inscriptions : Below castle on each side of sign (raised white letters): NETHERBOW

Signatures : None

Design period : 1971-1972

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0760)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions