Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Druim Slachdaidh

Farm Labourers Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Skye, Druim Slachdaidh

Classification Farm Labourers Cottage(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Black Park

Canmore ID 114780

Site Number NG25SW 22

NGR NG 2302 5424

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/114780

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duirinish
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG25SW 22 2302 5424

A farmstead, comprising four unroofed buildings and some lengths of field-walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness, Isle of Skye 1880, sheet xv). Two unroofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 15 October 1996.

Activities

Field Visit (September 2008 - July 2010)

Field survey, site description, sketches and photographs.

Reference (September 2008 - July 2010)

Review of historical maps, printed sources, estate papers and census records.

Srp Note (11 November 2010)

This small settlement lies 500m NW of Claigan Farm house, on the route of an old foot path which once led from Claigan Farm to the bay at Camas Ban (NG 22445 54515). It lies about 40m above sea level, on a small area of level ground which slopes uphill gently to the E and gives way to bog to the W. There are traces of old field drains in the boggy land to the NW, which was cultivated during the twentieth century, and small patches of lazy beds in the rough ground to the NE. The site comprises four rectangular, dry-stone rubble buildings, one enclosure and lengths of field dyke. The buildings here have not been robbed of stone and for that reason appear more complete than other structures of a similar age in Claigan.

The settlement is known locally and historically as Black Park, and census and estate records suggest that there were three households living here in 1840-41 (Dr MacAskill’s list of tenants, 1840, MacLeod of MacLeod Estate Papers, Vol 1, 644/5): Building 2 was occupied by Donald MacKinnon and family; building 3 by Malcolm Campbell and family, and building 4 by an elderly woman, Isabella MacKinnon. They were all employed as farm workers at Claigan Farm. By 1851, Isabella was dead and Malcolm Campbell had moved to Kilmuir, Dunvegan. Donald MacKinnon, cattleman, remained at Claigain until 1891, but it is not clear whether he continued to live here or whether he moved to the farm cottage at Camas Ban (NG25SW 43).

Field sketches, showing the distribution and dimensions of the buildings, are attached to this site record and should be consulted with the detailed notes below.

Building 1 (NG 23056 54219) is the E-most of the group. It measures 9.5m x 6m externally, with rounded corners and an inserted internal division 0.6m thick, creating a N compartment of c5.5m long and a S compartment of c3.5m long. There are entrances to both compartments in the W wall, but no opening in the dividing wall, perhaps suggesting conversion from a dwelling to a byre/shelter.

Building 2 (NG 23014 54242) lies c40m NW of building 1. It measures 11m x 6m externally, with the low footings of an outshot or earlier building extending a further 5.5.m to the N. The walls of the main building have rounded corners and are 0.8m-1m thick and stand up to 1.6m high. There is a central doorway in the W wall, 1m wide, with a window on either side measuring 0.6m-0.7m wide. Outside, a cobbled terrace, 1m wide and edged with flat stones, runs along the full length of the external W wall. An enclosure or garden plot measuring 16.5m x 12m butts on to the back (E) wall of this building. This enclosure is built into a dyke which runs N for 60m to building 4 and beyond. It is said that this building may have been used as a byre during the time Claigan was being re-settled as Department of Agriculture crofts in 1920s and 1930s.

Building 3 (NG 23007 54214) lies 20m SW of building 2 and is aligned N-S along a short length of field dyke which forms its E wall. It is in poor condition compared to building 2 and may have been abandoned earlier. It measures 13.5m x 5m externally, with a central doorway in its W wall and slight traces of an internal partition immediately to the right (S) of this entrance. The walls are 0.9m-1.2m thick and stand up to 1m high. A small sheep pen measuring 3m x2m has been built in the SE corner of the building and an opening created in the E wall for access.

Building 4 (NG 23016 54317) lies 60m N of building 2 and straddles the field which dyke runs N from the enclosure behind building 2. It is aligned E-W and measures 9m x 6m with a doorway 0.9m wide in S wall. The walls stand up to 1.5m high.

Information from Marjorie MacInnes, November 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions