Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Raasay House, Raasay

Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Raasay House, Raasay

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Torr Iain Ghairbh

Canmore ID 11470

Site Number NG53NW 13

NGR NG 5478 3661

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/11470

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NG53NW 13 5478 3661.

(NG 5478 3661) Sculptured Stone (found AD 1846) (NAT)

(NG 5477 3658) Standing Stone (NR) (Sculptured) (Site of)

OS 25"map, Inverness-shire, (1904)

(NG 5477 3658) Standing Stone (NR) (Sculptured)

OS 25"map, Inverness-shire, (1877)

Immediately S of Torr Iain Ghairbh (NG53NW 10), a sculptured stone was found in 1846, which is presently placed in an upright position near the E end of Raasay House. This rough granite slab bears on one side in relief what appears to commemorate one of the stages of the Passion of Christ, and is possibly one of the eight crosses referred to by Boswell as St. Maol-luag's chapel sanctuary markers (see NG53NW 4).

(The OS published entries indicate that this stone was removed from where it was set up, some time between 1877 and 1904.)

Name Book 1877; F A Pottle and C H Bennett 1963.

This stone could not be found at Raasay House. Local enquiries proved negative.

Visited by OS (A S P) 12 June 1961.

No further information.

Visited by OS (R L) 22 September 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions