Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peinaha, Skye

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Peinaha, Skye

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glenhinnisdal

Canmore ID 114646

Site Number NG45NW 8

NGR NG 422 585

NGR Description centred on NG 422 585

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/114646

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Snizort
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Watching Brief (19 April 2017)

NG 42275 58494 A watching brief was carried out, 19 April 2017, on the site of a new house (Croft No 5). No sub-surface features were identified. A short section of boundary dyke was cut through by the new access track revealing a mostly turf construction with some stone.

The post-medieval remains surveyed consisted of a turf and stone structure, which was not impacted by the development. This structure measured 9m N/S by 2.5m internally with walls spread to 2m wide. It had a narrow entrance on the W side and was incorporated into a large turf and stone dyke on the E. This ruined structure is shown on the 1st Edition OS map of 1875 but has disappeared by the 2nd Edition OS map of 1903.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: Jock Gordon Design and Planning

Steven Birch – West Coast Archaeological Services

(Source: DES, Volume 18)

Note

A township comprising six roofed and four unroofed buildings, their associatated enclosures and field walls and what may be two phases of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye 1880, sheet xi). The township is defined on the W partly by a head-dyke and partly by Lon Godrom which separates it from the township of Peinlich ("Peinlea" on the OS 1st edition 6-inch map), and on the E by a small burn that is not named from the township of Glenuachdrach.

Three roofed, one partially roofed and four unroofed buildings, their associated enclosures and field walls and two phases of head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 October 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions