Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, Lawnmarket, Libberton's Wynd, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Lawnmarket, Libberton's Wynd, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Cowgate; Liberton's Wynd

Canmore ID 113000

Site Number NT27SE 706

NGR NT 2564 7352

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/113000

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Libberton's Wynd ran from High Street/Lawnmarket down to Cowgate, roughly where the East pavement of George IV Bridge is now.

Carved stones moved to The Inch, Liberton from Little Mansion.

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Plan of ground floor of the tenements on the West side of Libberton's Wynd belonging to William Thomson, weaver, and Hugh Inglis, barber. Scale 1 inch to 10 feet. Bears the name and date Jas. Craig, Delin., March 23rd 1779; and of H. Gavin, Sct. Reference "16B...590".

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

Vol.888, No 9 of Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate, is a view in Libberton's Wynd showing "Burns Tavern by John Douie". Reference-"Adv.MSS.34.8.1-3". See under "Water Colour Sketches, Series of, by Thomas Brown, Advocate".

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions