Cults Station
Railway Station (19th Century)
Site Name Cults Station
Classification Railway Station (19th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Station Road
Canmore ID 112884
Site Number NJ80SE 61
NGR NJ 8974 0299
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/112884
- Council Aberdeen, City Of
- Parish Peterculter
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District City Of Aberdeen
- Former County Aberdeenshire
NJ80SE 61 8974 0299
Not to be confused with West Cults Station (NJ 8898 0261), for which see NJ80SE 64.
This intermediate station on the Great North of Scotland Rly. branch line from Aberdeen (Ferryhill Junc.) to Ballater ('the Deeside branch') was opened in 1855 by the GNoSR, succeeding an earlier Deeside Rly station which opened on 8 September 1953. It was grouped into the London and North-Eastern Rly. and closed (with the branch as a whole) on 28 February 1966.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 January 1997.
G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.
The timber station building at Cults survives intact on the S side of the disused track bed and is presently in use as a store and office; there is a modern extension at the W end of the building. The platforms (eastbound and westbound) survive intact.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ATW), 26 February 1997.
NMRS REFERENCE:
Station opened 08/09/1853 (Deeside Rly): Closed to Goods 15/061964 and to Passengers 28/02/1966.
