Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alva House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Alva House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Alva Castle

Canmore ID 111955

Site Number NS99NW 74

NGR NS 90108 97506

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/111955

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alva
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS99NW 74.00 90108 97506 Alva House

NS89NE 124 89254 96975 Gate Lodges

NS89NE 125 89353 97399 Walled Garden

NS89NE 126 89990 97522 Stables

Alva House is shown, roofed, on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perth and Clackmannan 1866, sheet cxxxiii). The house is depicted in a ruined state, with the N wall missing, on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1979).

Information from RCAHMS (PM) 23 August 1996

Architecture Notes

NS99NW 74.00 90108 97506 Alva House

NS89NE 124 89254 96975 Gate Lodges

NS89NE 125 89353 97399 Walled Garden

NS89NE 126 89990 97522 Stables

Alva House has been demolished. Information taken from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

Architect: Facade, Stables, Gates and Entrance Lodge - Robert Adam, 1789. Complete design was not carried out.

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Repair of [Alva] House.

James Erskine informs John Campbell of Achallader that the bearer of the letter has come to look for workmen. '...my father (Lord Tinwald) being under a necessity of making some reparations has got his finger at least into the mortar tub.'

1753 D 170/1213/43 (Campbell of Barcaldine)

Activities

Standing Building Recording (4 November 2009 - 5 November 2009)

NS 90104 97503 A building survey and evaluation carried out, 4–5 November 2009, on the partially demolished remains of Alva House revealed at least four phases of construction and alteration. Structural remains dating to the period prior to Robert and James Adam’s planned alterations to the S façade and later changes and additions, including those to the W wing were recorded. A series of thin clay and silt deposits, overlying redeposited midden material, were recorded beneath the building’s pre-1789 foundations. These deposits

have not been dated but the presence of coal suggests they are likely to date from the late 1600s or early 1700s.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Mr and Mrs McEwan

Clare Ellis – Argyll Archaeology

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions