Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkeithing, Jamestown Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Inverkeithing, Jamestown Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 110885

Site Number NT18SW 207

NGR NT 12503 81950

NGR Description NT 12509 82009 to NT 12503 81853

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/110885

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NT18SW 207 from 12509 82009 to 12503 81853

Photographed in June 2004 prior to the upgrading of railway structures by Network Rail.

Informatio from RCAHMS (MKO), June 2004

Jamestown Railway Viaduct is situated to the S of Inverkeithing, and spans the B981 public road and the former branch railway to North Queensferry and Rosyth. The bridge carries the main Edinburgh to Aberdeen main line over the road and railway between high embankments at each end. It was built by the Forth Bridge Railway Company as a component of the North Approach Railway, built in association with the Forth Bridge

The bridge consists of three sandstone piers carrying steel girders with a stone arch at the N and S ends.

The bridge was erected between 1883 and 1890 by the Forth Bridge Railway Company as part of the northern approaches to the bridge and was a new construction with embankments and viaducts. The engineers were Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker and Louis Nelville who was the engineer for Sir William Arrol and Joseph Phillips the contractors.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), January 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions