Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strontian, Drumnatorran Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Strontian, Drumnatorran Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Strontian River; Strontian Bridge

Canmore ID 108483

Site Number NM86SW 40

NGR NM 81622 62431

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/108483

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardnamurchan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Upstream, an impressive three-arched granite bridge, earlier 19th century, links Drimnatorran Farm to the ribbon of crofting townships that runs up the west side of the river. The highlight here is an unusually large U-plan steading/bank barn, 1828, built by Sir James Miles Riddell as part of an ambitious and progressive agricultural enterprise.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM86SW 40 81622 62431

Not to be confused with the bridge at NM 8140 6169, for which see NM86SW 50.

(Location cited as NM 817 625). Bridge, Strontian, 18th to 19th century. A three-span bridge, built, unusually for the area, of dressed stone. There are two main elliptical spans, with a smaller flood-relief arch.

J R Hume 1977.

This bridge carries the track leading to Drumnatorran farmhouse and steading (NM86SW 41.00 and .01 respectively) over the Strontian River.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 November 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions