Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Dunvegan, St Mary's Church; Dunvegan St Mary's Old Church, Kilmuir

Church (17th Century)

Site Name Skye, Dunvegan, St Mary's Church; Dunvegan St Mary's Old Church, Kilmuir

Classification Church (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kilmuir; Old Duirinish Parish Church

Canmore ID 10798

Site Number NG24NE 1

NGR NG 25499 47831

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/10798

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duirinish
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

St. Mary's, Kilmuir, 1694 Consolidated rubble oblong of old Duirinish parish church in stone-walled burial enclosure, reminiscent of Skye's other post-Reformation parish churches of Strath and Sleat. Eighteenth century aisle and mural memorials; balustraded burial enclosure with architraved doorway of 1735 attached to west gable. Although St. Clement's Church, Rodel was the principal resting place for the Macleod chiefs, some are buried here, as are generations of MacCrimmons, hereditary pipers to the Macleods. Predominant in the graveyard is an ashlar obelisk memorial, early 18th century, with weathered inscription to 'Lord Thomas Frazer' (father of Simon Fraser, 11 th Lord Lovat, who was executed on Towerhill in 1747) who died at Dunvegan while visiting his brotherin- law in 1699. In 1888 this 'lay in pieces on the ground', the kirk ruinous, overgrown with weeds and filled with junk, according to J. and E. Pennell, the roof having caved in about 20 years earlier. Some carved late-medieval gravestones and 18th century tablestones.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG24NE 1.00 25499 47831

NG24NE 1.01 25496 47811 Churchyard

NG24NE 1.02 25517 47807 Memorial (Lord Thomas Frazer Memorial; Obelisk)

(NG 2548 4782) Church (In Ruins) (NAT)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., 1904

The ruin of the post-Reformation parish church, a plain rubble-built structure originally oblong on plan, to which in the 18th century a north burial aisle was added. The lintel of the N door is inscribed 'I ML 1694'. A burial enclosure against the west gable has a good Renaissance doorway and balustrade dated 1735. The churchyard is still known as Kilmuirm as is also the adjoining township, preserving the ancient dedication to St Mary.

In the Kirkyard are three grave slabs with a claymore and foliaceous designs carved upon them (each fully described), also a number of 'throuch' stones dating from the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th centuries.

T S Muir 1885; F T Macleod 1910; RCAHMS 1928; Orig Paroch Scot 1954.

The remains of St Mary's Church are as described above. The north burial aisle is dated 1839.

Visited by OS (A S P) 8 May 1961.

Late medieval grave-slab in St Mary's churchyard.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions