Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hyskier, Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Hyskier, Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Oigh Skeir; Oigh-sgeir Lighthouse; Hyskeir Lighthouse

Canmore ID 106734

Site Number NM19NE 1

NGR NM 1552 9626

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106734

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NM19NE 1 1552 9626

Name: Hyskeir (1904)

Location: N56 58 W6 41 Sea of the Hebrides, 33 miles W of Mallaig

Designed and built: D A Stevenson

Light first exhibited: 8 November 1915

Description: circular stone tower, painted white

Height of light above MHW: 134ft (41m)

Height of tower: 128ft (39m)

Light source and characteristics: W Gp Fl (3) ev 30 secs. 250W metal halide lamp: 788,000cp: nominal range 24nm

Fog warning apparatus: electric (1) ev 30 secs

Manning: watched (helicopter transfer from Oban)

Fog signal tower demolished 1985

C Nicholson 1995.

Hyskier (Oigh Sgier) lighthouse: This rock lighthouse was built in 1904 by D A Stevenson on an extensive but low-lying projecting rock outcrop in waters between the Little Minch and the Sound of Mull. A small group of buildings was erected at the base of the 39m-high tower, and there were formerly keepers' gardens (the 'rock garden') but no shore station was built, the keepers' families being accommodated at Pulpit Hill, Oban.

The light was electrified (to 788,000 maximum candlepower) in 1959 and saw the early use of aerial resupply, a helicopter pad being constructed in about 1972 for that purpose. The Moderator of the General Assembly visited the lighthouse by helicopter in 1974, and the light was automated in 1997.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; K Allardyce 1998.

The location (NM 1552 9626) cited for this record is derived from that (N56 58.2 W6 40.9) cited in navigational publications.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 October 2003.

Admiralty List of Lights 1980.

Activities

Construction (1904)

Light established in 1904.

C Nicholson 1995

Modification (1997)

Automated in 1997.

R W Munro 1979

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions