Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kingshouse Hotel, Glen Coe

Hotel (Period Unassigned), Kingshouse (18th Century)

Site Name Kingshouse Hotel, Glen Coe

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), Kingshouse (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kings House; Mountain Rescue Post; King's House Inn; King's House Hotel; Glencoe; Rannoch Moor; Moor Of Rannoch

Canmore ID 106538

Site Number NN25SE 6

NGR NN 2592 5467

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/106538

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Through the canyon-like Pass of Glencoe and out onto Rannoch Moor, and the only building for miles is: Kingshouse Hotel, mid-18th century, now much modernised and extended to cater for the hillclimbing brigade that has replaced 'drovers, pedlars, soldiers and travellers' as its main clients. The original inn is still visible at its core, attractively sited beside Caulfeild's bridge of 1751-2. It was described by Dorothy Wordsworth in 1803 as 'a large square building, cased in blue slates to defend it from storms ...'.

[So negative was the appeal of Kingshouse, that it was offered with a grant rent free to any inn keeper willing to take it on. The foul nature of its accommodation was widely documented. In 1802 the Surveyor of Military Roads thought it 'had more the appearance of a hog stye than an Inn' and in 1819 Robert Southey wrote that it had 'handsome English china but no bread'.]

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NN25SE 6 2592 5467

The 'Kings House' was built c.1750 as accommodation for troops and travellers. It was renovated in the early 1960s without altering its essential character.

SDD list 1963

The Kingshouse Hotel has been dropped from the previous statutory and/or descriptive lists.

SDD list 1985.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Kings House Inn. - Glencoe. Rannoch Moor.

National Library of Scotland. Country Life 26 January 1945 - photograph.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions